Campus Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Two continuing, full-time, research-only roles at the academic level of Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, or Associate Professor (equivalent to US Assistant and Associate Professor)
- Areas of speciality are open, with preference for fields that will diversify the Research Institute's existing strengths, including but not limited to moral, social and political philosophy
- Level of appointment commensurate with experience
Australian Catholic University (ACU) is an inclusive community which welcomes students and staff of all beliefs. ACU has over 2,500 staff supporting more than 34,000 students across eight campuses - Ballarat, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, North Sydney, Strathfield, Blacktown and Rome.
As valued members of our community, all staff members are expected to have an understanding of ACU's mission and values and to demonstrate an active contribution to them.
About the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy:
The Faculty of Theology and Philosophy is the largest faculty of its kind in Australia, comprised of two national schools; the School of Theology and the School of Philosophy and the Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry and the Dianoia Institute of Philosophy. ACU has prioritised research intensification and has developed a strategy designed to achieve excellence in a selected number of areas of strategic priority, including theology and philosophy.
About the Dianoia Institute of Philosophy:
Research Institutes have been established at ACU as rigorous interdisciplinary and collaborative research environments without discipline-based boundaries, facilitating both immediate and ongoing collaborations of ACU researchers with interpersonal and national experts and enabling exceptional opportunities for innovative research to be conducted on a significant scale. This creates the potential for profound impact benefiting the research community and society as a whole.
The Dianoia Institute of Philosophy develops ACU's expertise in epistemology, ethics, metaphysics, social and political philosophy, philosophy of mind, language, and science, logic, aesthetics, history of philosophy and philosophy of religion, thereby establishing a strong philosophy program in the analytic tradition. Dianoia has an international outlook and seeks a diverse staffing profile. Philosophy at ACU runs many events. Each year philosophers from the Melbourne campus run research seminars at ACU's campus in Rome, Italy, as well as in Melbourne. For more information about Dianoia and ACU, visit: https://www.acu.edu.au/research-and-enterprise/our-research-institutes/dianoia-institute-of-philosophy
About the role:
These two opportunities aim to diversify the research strengths of the Dianoia Institute of Philosophy into areas of philosophy such as moral, social and political philosophy. The Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow/Associate Professor will conduct and publish high-quality research in leading international outlets within their field of expertise.
More specifically the roles entail:
- Contributing to the research life of the Institute through participation in collaborative grant applications.
- Enhancing research partnerships, participating in research seminars and attending conferences to disseminate the outcomes of research.
- Attracting and supervising Higher Degree Research students, advising on the development of research-related teaching initiatives and contributing to the collegial culture of the university, consistent with the expectations of the duties of the appointment.
You will need to have:
- PhD or equivalent in relevant discipline of philosophy.
- Demonstrated capacity to attract external research grant funding.
- Level D: An outstanding and sustained track record of research achievement as evidenced by a consistent profile of excellent peer-reviewed publications in esteemed book presses and journals. Level C: A sustained track record of research achievement as evidenced by a consistent profile of excellent peer-reviewed publications in esteemed book presses and journals. Level B: A track record of research achievement as evidenced by a consistent profile of excellent peer-reviewed publications in esteemed book presses and journals.
- Level C, D: A successful track record of supervision of Higher Degree Research students and the ability to contribute to best practice in research training.
- Level D: Demonstrated ability to provide effective and collegial leadership of a collaborative research team, including through international partnerships. Level B, C: Demonstrated ability to participate as part of a collaborative research team.
- Level D: Demonstrated ability to engage a wide public audience and promote the university's strength in philosophy. Level B, C: Demonstrated ability to engage a wide public audience in chosen field of expertise.
The University pursues an excellence agenda and offers an environment where staff are welcomed and safe, and valued through development, participation and involvement.
How to Apply:
Obtain the Position Description from the website. Applicants are expected to address all selection criteria listed in the position description and outline how they would support the mission of the university. To apply for this role click the 'View Position Description and Apply' buttons above or below. Visit Hints and Tips on how to apply.
Level of appointment will be commensurate with experience. ACU provides competitive salaries commensurate with academic level, plus a 17% employer superannuation contribution. The positions also attract a generous research allowance.
Starting dates are negotiable. All applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration, but late applications may be considered until positions are filled.
General enquiries can be sent to Bita Ekhtiari, Institute Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity and Privacy of personal information is University policy. For more details visit: www.acu.edu.au/careers
Find out more information on the benefits of working at ACU at: www.acu.edu.au/about-acu/careers-at-acu/why-work-at-acu
ACU is committed to diversity and social inclusion in its employment practices. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse groups are encouraged.
Applications close: 24-AUG-2022 at 11:59pm AUS Eastern Standard Time