- Great oppotunity to join a world-class regulator.
- Develop a range of sought-after skills and gain networks across the Commonwealth.
- Relocation and flexible working arrangements available for the right candidate.
- Open to Australian citizens only.
Reform and Engagement is responsible for providing functions across enquiries, international engagement, reform activities, and stakeholder engagement. It coordinates the APVMA’s input into policy and legislative reform through the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, manages the review of subordinate legislation with the APVMA legal team, and supports the branches in managing operational reforms.
The Assistant Director Reform and Engagement will operate under limited direction as part of the Reform and Engagement section to develop and implement the APVMA’s strategic approach to regulatory and operational reform. The role will take a regulatory stewardship approach to contribute to the effective and efficient operation of the national framework for agvet chemical regulation in Australia. Working in this position, the successful candidate will develop skills in coordination, advocacy, negotiation, policy development, and project governance. You will develop networks within the agency and across the Commonwealth public sector and be positioned to meaningfully influence important policy areas.
The Assistant Director Reform and Engagement is responsible for identifying how reforms might impact the APVMA, working with stakeholders to develop reform proposals, offering alternative measures or ideas and developing and providing high quality written material for briefs, correspondence and reports. The Assistant Director Reform and Engagement will identify the key impacts in order to accurately cost and plan for implementation and advocate the APVMA’s position in setting, reviewing, and implementing regulatory reform.
Work specific to the current vacancy in the Reform and Engagement Program will involve:
- Analysing and reviewing complex policy issues, identifying emerging issues, developing evidence-based options, and recommending solutions to resolve problems and mitigate risks.
- Working with staff from other areas of the agency to assess agency proposals and draft instruments for compliance with government policy.
- Contributing to expert advice for the senior executive, the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, and the Minister.
- Monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on the development and/or implementation of reforms and ensuring the achievement of desired outcomes, including the effectiveness of legislation, policy guidance, and other advice.
- Communicating directly and regularly with external and internal stakeholders at all levels through telephone and email, in meetings, and by giving presentations.
- Consulting with stakeholders to define mutual interests and determine strategies to achieve their realisation.
Our Ideal Candidate / Selection criteria
To be considered for these roles you will need:
- The ability to analyse and understand complex issues and legislation, apply critical thinking to make rational judgements, and present your findings clearly and convincingly.
- Demonstrated experience working within a regulatory framework, and understanding of regulatory best practise.
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities and outcomes across teams through the effective use of project management, monitoring, liaison, and reporting skills.
- Strong stakeholder engagement, influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to manage divergent opinions and work with staff of all levels.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to present technical information and recommendations clearly in documents, intranet posts, minutes, and briefs for a variety of audiences.
- Comprehensive understanding of policy development and implementation.
- Tertiary qualifications, majoring in science, political science, the arts, or related disciples and/or demonstrated experience in a related role.
- An understanding of, or interest in, the agricultural or veterinary sectors.