Position title: Financial/Management Accountant
Immediate supervisor: Assistant Manager, Finance Operations
Status: Ongoing/Non-ongoing, Full-time (2 positions)
Location: Canberra, ACT
Application close date: 11.30pm (AEDT) on Friday, 7 October 2022
Position contact: Rohan Haslam, Chief Finance Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 6208 5053
The job opportunity
The Museum has an exciting opportunity for an experienced finance professional to join the Finance team as a Financial/Management Accountant, assisting with the management and delivery of the Museum’s financial operations.
The Finance team has responsibility for delivery and oversight of end-to-end financial management at the Museum. The incumbent will work closely with the Finance team and business units across the Museum, to support and improve financial operations, practices and service delivery.
What will the successful candidate bring to the role?
The successful candidate will have experience in financial management and operational roles, with exposure to organisation-wide financial planning, service delivery, reporting and administration activities. This includes, but is not limited to:
• delivering key financial operations including month and year end close processes, preparing complex journals and reconciliations, and undertaking financial data interrogation and analysis
• managing and overseeing the delivery of accounts payable and receivable and other administrative functions (e.g. travel, credit cards)
• assisting with the development, reporting and analysis of detailed and complex financial information, including budgets, forecasts and results
• contributing to the preparation of annual financial statements and other statutory reports, including taxation (e.g. GST, BAS, FBT) and other external reporting requirements (e.g., whole-of-government and regulatory)
• developing, implementing and reviewing policies, processes and systems to improve performance and respond to the needs of the business
• building team culture, capacity and capability, while demonstrating an awareness and personal commitment to the APS Values and Code of Conduct
• tertiary qualifications in accounting, finance or business-related disciplines, and professional accounting qualifications (or progress towards) are highly regarded
• experience with TechnologyOne or other similar financial management information systems is highly regarded
Applicants must respond to each of the following selection criteria (maximum of 2 pages in total), provide a current CV and include contact details for 2 referees in their application.
1. Preparing and delivering month end and year end close procedures, including complex journal and reconciliations, and interrogation and analysis of financial transactions and data.
2. Improving financial performance and operations, through streamlining and simplifying processes and developing and implementing financial management policies and procedures, preferably in a government or not-for-profit setting.
3. Assisting decision-making by contributing to financial planning and performance monitoring processes, including budgeting, forecasting and results analysis.
4. Communicating and collaborating, including the ability to work successfully with a range of internal and external stakeholders and contribute constructively and positively in a small service delivery team environment.
5. Demonstrating awareness and a personal commitment to the APS Values and Code of Conduct
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and those from culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The National Museum of Australia is an equal employment opportunity workplace.
The Museum is committed to ensuring a child-safe and child-friendly environment. All employees are expected to demonstrate a commitment to, and support for these principles in theory and practice.
To be eligible to apply for this vacancy, applicants must:
• be an Australian citizen
• undergo pre-employment checks, including a police records check
• obtain and maintain a valid security clearance at Baseline level